Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Terminology and Introduction


Hi everybody,
this is the first post of all, xD
here I’m just going to introduce myself and give you some important terminologies for read Asian comics, specially Japanese(that are the most popular) and Korean(also popular); Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese comics are not often seen so there's no exactly terminology for those.

I'm Berenice Milán, Mexican,
I am not otaku, but I like it, and I understand the otaku obsession for 2D.
I have been called otaku by some friends, but I think I am not, that I still have long way to go :)
I don't usually watch anime because I don't really like TV, but I love to read, so I am a manga, manhwa, and manhua fan.
I don't like hentai, yaoi and yuri, I think my mind could become scum. I usually read Shounen, Shoujo, Gore(I’m a sadist), and Koma, I think those are cool(specially gore :B ).
I’m a Lolita fan, but I’m not Lolita, I think it doesn't fit me, also I’m not that feminine.

However, I wish you could like my blog, and the things I’m going to post on it. :3

Have a nice day everybody, and good-bye. :D GBU !!!


if there was something you didn’t understand here is the terminology:
Japanese Terminology:
Otaku: a person obsessed with something, but we use it to refer just to Anime and Manga fans
Anime: from animation, we use it to refer to Japanese animations(cartoons)
Manga: Literally Comic, but we use it to refer to Japanese comics
Mangaka: a person who works in drawing manga
Shoujo: young girl(also referring to the genre)
Shounen: young boy(also referring to the genre)
Josei: a sub-genre of Shoujo, targeted to the young female adult readers/audience.
Seinen: a sub-genre of Shounen, targeted to the young male adult readers/audience.
Mecha: the mechanical genre
Koma: is the humorist genre(there's also the 4-Koma)
Kodomo: Kids(also referring to the genre)
Mahou-Shoujo: Magical girl(also referring to the genre)
Gore/Guro: bloody(also referring to the genre)
Nakama: Mates, Friends, Comrade.
Tomodachi: Friend
Bishounen: pretty boy
Bishoujo: pretty girl
Ecchi: Erotic(also referring to the genre), in mangas or anime it can be used also Ero.
Hentai: Pervert(also referring to the genre)
Yaoi: love between man-man, Gay(also referring to the genre)
Yuri: Lilium, love between woman-woman, Lesbian(also referring to the genre)
Nihon/Nippon: Japan
Sayounara: Good Bye
Konnichiwa: Good Evening/Hello
Ohayou: Good Morning
Konbanwa: Good Night/Late Evening
Baka: stupid/idiot
Akuma: Devil
Doijinshi: is the Japanese term for self-published works, usually magazines, manga or novels; they are often works of amateurs. 
(name)-san: it could be Mrs., Mr., or miss
(name)-chan: it is used to refer to a person you're familiar with, it is more used referring to children and girls(it could also be (name)-chi)
(name)-kun: it is used to refer a person whom you know, but not very close to you, it is more used on boys.
(name)-sensei: sensei is teacher
(name)-senpai/sempai: someone older than you or with more experienced in something than you, whom you respect.
(name)-dono: an authority with whom you're subjected or that you just simply respect and is not married.
(name)-sama: is an authority like a chief, a president, gods. also fans call their idol -sama.
onee-san: older sister
onii-san: older brother
imouto: younger sister
itouto: younger brother
Kawaii: pretty, cute, adorable, or dear.
Ganbaru: A word of encouragement: Hang in There!, Go! (it may also be in other verb tense: ganbatte, ganbatta, ganbare)
Gomen/gomenasai: sorry/I’m sorry
Etto: is like saying "mmmm…." in a conversation when you think or are in blank.
Sake: rice wine
Hime: Princess
Ojou: young master
Onegai: Please
Youkai: Monster or demon(reffering to supernatural like vampires, werewolves, sirens, etc.)

Artículo original: The 100 most essential words in anime.

Korean Terminology:
Oppa: Older Brother, Used only by girls
Hyung: Older brother, Used only by boys
Unnie: Older Sister, used only by girls
Noona: Older Sister, used only by boys
(name)-ssi: is like using -san in japanese
Hyungnim: Gang members use it to refer to their Gang leader
Sunbae: used in both genders as a term of respect for upperclassmen
Sunsengnim: teacher
Ahjussi: Old Man 
Ahjuma: Old Woman

3 comments:

  1. The terms ecchi refers to erotic, the hentai, by other side means pervert. Obviously on the genres have other terminology. The terms Yuri and Yaoi is wrong at all, yuri means lily or lilium, but refers in the relationship of woman-woman. The yaoi is a term who is referred to the gay relations doesn´t matter is only sentimental, sexual, or both. I wish that this could help you, onee-chan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, thanks for correcting me, xD.
    i'm still somehow new at this, but iv'e became more addict to this as time passed. my brother and friends did told me what you wrote, but I didn't change the information on the post.

    anyway, Thank You! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. chotto matte!, you are my brother or are other person who i don't know?

    ReplyDelete